Bhartiya Anuvad Parishad (Translators' Association of India)
THE MEMORANDUM OF THE ASSOCIATION
- Name: The Association shall be named - "Bhartiya Anuvad Parishad" Translator's Association of India. (BHANUP)
- Office: The Registered Office of the Parishad shall be 203, Asha Deep, 9 Hailey Road, New Delhi - 110001 Functional Office shall be 24, School Lane, Bengali Market, New Delhi - 110001.
- Aims & Objectives: The aims and objects of the Parishad shall be:
- To help in raising the scientific and artistic standards of translation in various Indian languages, with special attention to the official language, Hindi.
- To publish a quarterly journal 'Anuvad'.
- To undertake translations of standard works through the members of the Parishad, individually and collectively.
- To publish standard translations and original works on the art of translation and allied subjects.
- To maintain a Reference Library of books and periodical on translation, technical terminology, editing, advertising etc.
- To organize symposia, seminars, lecture etc. on the problems of translation, technical terminology, editing, advertising etc.
- To train Translators,
- To engage in any other activity that may be considered necessary for the promotion of the aims and objects of the Parishad.
THE NATURE OF THE ASSOCIATION
The BHANUP shall have an academic character and shall be free from political, commercial or communal shades of any kind.
The BHANUP will be a 'non-profit' organization.
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE BHANUP
In the rules and regulations of BHANUP unless there be any thing in the subject or context inconsistent therewith:
- The Parishad shall mean Bhartiya Anuvad Parishad - (That is The Translator's Association of India)
- 'Member' shall mean the member of the Parishad as defined in Section-II of rules
- The Executive Committee shall mean office bearers and members of the Managing Committee of the Parotid constituted here inafter:
- The 'Chairman', 'Vice Chairman', 'Secretary', 'General Secretary-2', 'Treasurer', 'Auditor' and The 'Editor'.
Subject to the terms and conditions of the Parotid all persons engaged in translation work or interested in the study and promotion of such work shall be eligible for the membership of the Parishad. There will be the following five categories of the members:
- Patrons: Any individual who is interested in the promotion of the translation work and contributes Rs. 5000/- or more shall be the patron of the BHANUP. In addition to this, eminent translators, educationists, literature and scientists subscribing to objectives of the Parishad may be nominated as 'Patrons' subject to the approval of the Executive Committee.
- Life Members: Persons subscribing to the aims and objectives of the BHANUP shall be able to enroll themselves as Life Member's of the Association after paying Rs. 2000/- with the approval of the Executive Committee
- Founder Members: Life members who contributed to the original constitution of Parishad are called Founder Members.
- Ordinary Annual Members: Persons who are engaged or interested in the translation work and who subscribe to the aim and objects of the BHANUP shall be able to enlist themselves as Ordinary Members on written request after payment of Rs. 250/- per annum fee for membership. Applicants will, however, require the approval of the Managing Committee or any Agency authorized by it for the purpose.
- Institute Life Members Reputed Institutions of translators and linguists shall be entitled to become members of the BHANUP and will be termed as Institute Life Members on payment of Rs. 2500/-.
III. RIGHTS OF MEMBERS
- Except ordinary annual members all members of the BHANUP will be entitled to receive all issues of the Journal, 'Anuvad' - free of cost.
- Patron Members, and the Founder Members will be entitled also to receive one complimentary copy of all the publications BHANUP.
- Life Member may purchase publication of BHANUP at 50 % concession and ordinary members and Ordinary annual members will be able to purchase the publication of the BHANUP at 25% concession.
- Every member will be entitled to receive invitations from BHANUP for lectures and discussions arranged under the auspices of the BHANUP.
- Every member can use the reference library of BHANUP in accordance with the rules and regulations framed for use of books in the library of BHANUP.
- Barring Ordinary members every member will be eligible to undertake act translations and vetting work subject to their being otherwise qualified for it.
- Every member will be eligible to become a member of the managing committee on elections of the BHANUP conducted under the normal rules, provided an ordinary member ensures his membership for at least two years.
No person or institution shall be admitted or be allowed to retain the membership of the BHANUP, who engage or profess faith in activities detrimental to aims and objects of the BHANUP. Founder and Life Members retain the right of rejecting or canceling the membership of such members without assigning any reason.
IV. MANAGING COMMITTEE
The affairs of the BHANUP shall be managed by a Managing Committee consisting of 17 members of whom 3 will be from the Founders and 12 from Life Members and 2 from the Ordinary members.
The Executive Committee once elected shall remain in office for a period of the two years. Its term can be extended for a period not exceeding two years, under special circumstances to be decided by the Managing Committee by a majority of 2/3 of votes.
Quorum for the Managing Committee for all the meetings shall be 1/3 of the total strength.
Any vacancy arising within two year's time of the tenure of the Managing Committee can be filled by the unanimous nomination by the Founder and Life Members. In the event of the Vacancy of a Founder Member the remaining Founder Members shall have the choice of nominating a new member to the Managing Committee from amongst the Life Members to make a total of 17.
The General house shall elect the following office bearers and members of MC
- Vice Chairman (2)
- Secretary General (1)
- Secretary (2)
- Treasurer (1) and
- Members (10)
V. GENERAL HOUSE
The General House will consist of :
- Founder Members,
- Patron Members,
- Life Members
- Ordinary Members.
The General House will meet at least once a year.
The quorum for the General House shall be 1/5 of total strength or 20 members whichever is less.
The General House shall elect the Editor (from amongst the Founder or Life members only) and the Auditor. The Editor will have the right to nominate an Editorial Board.
The tenure of the post of Editor will be for a period of 4 years, while the tenure of Auditor will correspond to that of Managing Committee.
The managing committee headed by the Chairman, the Editorial Board formed by the Editor shall be responsible to the General House, and it will furnish a written statement of its activities at least once in two years.
The members of Editorial Board shall be ex-officio members of the Managing Committee and shall have the right of participating in its Editorial Board but will not have the right to vote in the meeting of the Managing Committee.
Election of the Members of the Managing Committee shall be conducted by show of hand. Oral nominations shall be made on the spot. In the event of any dispute the Founder and Life Members reserve the right of declaring the elections void.
Secretary General shall annually present estimate of receipts and expenses of BHANUP to M.C. for approval.
The funds of the BHANUP shall consist of membership fees, proceeds from the sale of publications, donations and grants. These funds shall be deposited in a scheduled bank and the account shall be operated by any of the following Office bearers jointly with the Treasurer:
- Secretary General
DUTIES OF THE OFFICE BEARERS
The Chairman shall preside over all the meetings of Managing Committee, and conduct the proceedings. He/She will have the deciding vote in case of a tie.
In the absence of the Chairman, Senior Vice Chairman shall discharge all duties and powers of the chairman.
In case the Chairman and the Senior Vice Chairman are not present, the Vice Chairman shall preside over the meeting of the Managing Committee.
The Secretary General shall be responsible for executing the policies of the BHANUP. He/She shall maintain minutes of the meetings and attend to other office routine. He/She will also look to the distribution of translation and vetting work in accordance with the policy decided by the Managing Committee. He/She will operate the accounts of Association jointly with the Treasurer.
The Secretary General and the secretary (2) shall perform all or any such duties as may be assigned to them or the all the duties of the Secretary General in his/her absence. The Secretaries will work under the control, direction and supervision of Secretary General.
The Treasurer shall be responsible for maintaining the accounts of the BHANUP and also operate them jointly with the Editor and in his/her absence with any of Secretaries authorized by Secretary General. He/She shall submit to the managing Committee an audited statement of accounts every year.
The Auditor shall audit the accounts of the BHANUP and shall submit his/her Report to the Managing Committee.
The Editor shall also form an advisory committee consisting of experts from all Indian Languages and a few subject experts. He/She shall formulate and execute the policy of the journal. He/She shall also operate the accounts of the BHANUP jointly with the Treasurer.
IX. FINANCIAL POWER
The Secretary General may keep an imprest amount not exceeding Rs. 2000/- and may pass for payment a bill not exceeding Rs. 5,000/- in no case the Secretary General shall pass pay orders exceeding Rs. 10,000/- in any month not covered by above provisions.
The Editor may keep the impress money of Rs. 2000/- but shall not have the authority to pass pay orders on any single item exceeding Rs. 2000/-. In no case the Life Editor shall sanction any payment exceeding Rs. 2000/- in one month. Sanction of the Managing Committee shall be obtained in case not covered by the above provisions.
AUDIT OF ACCOUNTS
The account of the BHANUP would be audited annually by the Accountant and certified copies of the statement of accounts shall be placed for scrutiny of the members of the Managing Committee at its next meeting along with the explanation of the secretary-general and the Editor to the objections raised by the Auditor.
AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION
Any member amongst the Founder/Life Members shall have the privilege to sponsor a proposal to amend the Constitution of the BHANUP. All such proposals accompanied by objects and reasons, will be circulated to all the members. After giving a month's notice for the meeting specially convened for the purpose the amendment shall be adopted if voted for by a majority of member present.
The BHANUP shall be dissolved by 2/3 votes of the General House at a meeting specially convened for the purpose. The funds and assets of the BHANUP if any shall be disposed of, in the manner to be decided by the then M.C.
Note: The office bearers of the BHANUP including Members of the Editorial Board shall be honorary workers.